Step 2: Recommendations
The Austrian partners chose to adopt the common recommendations created by the eight first countries. They added specific recommendations adapted to local eating habits.
Recommendations to the employees
- Have you had enough to drink today? Water and unsweetened tea are the best choice – because they are sugar-free.
- Add colour to your diet with fruit and vegetables! Ideally 5x a day!
- Wholemeal has added value! Vitamins and minerals are found under the skin or peel and in the stone.
- Side dishes are the stars on the diet stage! Rice, noodles and potatoes provide good carbohydrates.
- Get calcium for your bones from milk, cheese and yoghurt.
- Give yourself a break! Your body looks forward to three meat and sausage-free days a week.
- Good catch! Eat fish at least once a week!
- Seasoning instead of salt! Parsley, marjoram, thyme, oregano, basil, coriander, mint, dill, cardamom, etc. pamper the palate and the digestion.
- Plants can do more! More plant and less animal is healthier – especially when it comes to fats.
- Clever cooking means going easy on the fat! Braising, steaming, grilling or roasting are good methods.
Recommendations to the restaurants
- Wholegrain baked goods should be offered daily.
- There should be a vegetarian dish every day.
- If there are meat dishes, vegetables or a side containing starch should be offered.
- Once a week, fish should be offered. In vegetarian/vegan restaurants, at least one dish containing rapeseed oil should be prepared instead.
- There should not be any saltshakers at the table.
- An area for free tap water and glasses should be available.
- The customer should be able to choose between large and small portions.
- There should be a daily dish, or three times a week a lunch menu with salad and/or vegetables and/or a vegetable soup.
- The following types of cooking should be used: grilling, stewing, and braising.
Criteria to respect in order to be part of the FOOD restaurants’ network
Following the creation of a set of adapted FOOD recommendations for restaurants, a network of restaurants was established.
In Austria, restaurants have to apply 5 out of the 9 recommendations in order to be part of the FOOD network.
To see the map of the entire network of FOOD restaurants, click here