Step 2: Recommendations
The Austrian partners chose to adopt the common recommendations created by the eight first countries. They added specific recommendations adapted to local eating habits.
Recommendations to the employees
- I drink water and other unsweetened non-alcoholic drinks
- I eat vegetables at least three times a day and fruit twice a day.
- I eat carbohydrates regularly.
- I prefer whole grains.
- I get calcium from milk, cheese and yoghurt.
- I allow myself at least three meat-free days a week and get my protein from plant sources as well as dairy products and eggs.
- I regularly eat fish from sustainable fish farms or other sustainable sources.
- I use herbs for seasoning to save on salt.
- I prefer vegetable fats.
- I use less fat by steaming, stewing, grilling or frying.
Recommendations to the restaurants
- There are no salt shakers at the table.
- A tap for free tap water and drinking glasses are available.
- It is possible to choose between large and small portions.
- The following preparation methods are used: grilling, stewing, braising.
- If there is a dish of the day / lunch menu, salad and/or vegetables and/or a vegetable soup are offered daily with them.
- If there are meat dishes, they are accompanied by vegetables and/or a starchy side dish.
- Pastries are offered in wholemeal varieties.
Criteria to respect in order to be part of the FOOD restaurants’ network
Following the creation of a set of adapted FOOD recommendations for restaurants, a network of restaurants was established.
In Austria, restaurants have to apply 5 out of the 8 recommendations in order to be part of the FOOD network.
To see the map of the entire network of FOOD restaurants, click here